Skip to main content

tv   Stossel  FOX Business  July 12, 2015 12:00am-1:01am EDT

12:00 am
always better than the government one-size-fits-all solution the matter which side government picks. that is our show. see you next week. 97% of you said "yes." and good night from new york. >> if people want to work, let them work . john: yes, but government often doesn't let us. it puts a maze in our way. >> fingerprints, fbi background checks. >> haunted by a government . john: does this woman really need a license? >> arizona is threatening with thousands of dollars in fines and jail time. . john: government wants me to buy you a savings bond, but they make it so hard. >> there will be some information we have to fill out. there are three steps what's your first name? account number inspect. moving on to step two does . john: but the private sector makes things easy.
12:01 am
>> that was easy. . john: but government makes everything so hard and that's our show tonight. ♪ ♪ john: a friend of mine asked me to buy a savings bond for her granddaughter. i thought that should be easy. after all billions of these have been sold. they helped pay for world war ii. >> freedom that's what i'm selling anyone today. >> bonds are bigger than ever . john: more recently the government announced it would go digit. that will save taxpayers millions they said in make buying bonds even more convenient. >> buying digit u.s. saving bonds can help your family save for a new home, a retirement or other dream. >> sounds good but how much does it dost set up an account? >> nothing it's free. >> free is good. >> and it only takes a few
12:02 am
minutes to set up an act. >> congratulations hundred hun, you're now a treasury account holder . john: but the government lies, it is too hard. i had to fill out an account authorization form that requires a seal of approval by an authorized certified officer from an insured depository institution. but many say they won't require signatures. . john: fortunately my local chase bank says they help people with this. i would like to buy a savings bond. can someone help me with that. she introduced me to louis who said he would help. >> do you have your id and driver's license? i just need to pull up your information . john: he guided me through the process. >> type in your social. . john: it's very difficult. >> open a new account. there we go. now there's three steps. i'm just going to give you the keyboard, and you can type in the information here.
12:03 am
. john: that's a lot of information. >> it is. . john: why do i have to do it this way? >> the treasury now has where you have to do it online . john: do people complain like i do? >> it is pretty tedious to go through this . john: the e-mail address, is this required. >> yeah. john: routing number? >> 0021 . john: this is boring. >> by checking this box you certify under penalty of perjury that all the information is correct . john: the following errors have occurred. i have to do a phone number. >> yes. john: submit again? >> yeah. john: even after i filled everything out the computer made me do it again. and again. and then i had to pick up security reminder. i'll pick the clown enter a caption. the treasury tells you must name your account. i named mine government is so difficult. please work. the following errors have
12:04 am
occurred. i had to it again. now i opened the account. next step would be the form, your social, address, phone number, and e-mail address that you used on the account. this form needs to have an official step. this is why you needed me. this is why you had to come into the bank. . john: to get that, he had to call in the branch manager. >> this is mr. stossel. >> hello how are you doing sir, . john: i'm sorry we need you. >> you go ahead and you can send this form in, this is the address over here . john: now i have to male this form to the government. >> you guys accept cash. >> we do. . john: but the government doesn't. the government makes everything difficult. i'm on medicare. i get build periodical for it, $335, but i can't pay this online or by phony or by credit card. the government does offer something called easy pay which will deduct checks from my checking account. but easy pay?
12:05 am
they admit setting it up could take six months. anyway back to my savings bond. i gave that bank $100 and eventually supposedly i'll have a savings bond that will be worth $200 in 20 years. not a great investment. but it took hours and now to receive the bond for the parents who the child is for you, they must open their own treasury direct account. the the government makes it so hard. and jeff knows all about that, he's a lawyer who tries to help people find their way through maces he's the institute of justice, you do this for a living and why? >> the government just doesn't have an incentive to make it easy. it's not going to go out of business and not going to force you to do it once . john: and that's the difference. the private sector knows it has to make things easy. >> exactly. because then you'll stop going to the store . john: whenever i think about the government, i think of
12:06 am
these things, the easy button from that staples ad. >> did you do kicking it? yeah up to the ink fairy. >> yeah, you leave an empty cartilage and it leaves you a cartridge. >> or you can see use the easy button. >> yeah. like that's real . john: staples old slog on was yeah, we got that. and then research people were less interested in choosing lots of products and a simple experience so staples installed bigger signs. removed britney spears backpacks and 800 items and came out with the easy button. >> that was easy . john: staples scales profits quickly increased. the private sector has just said prophets by making things simple. but when the private sector is bound by government's rules
12:07 am
it often can't. it's actually like buying a house. >> that's right. i mean that is a classic example of the maze and it's not just a two-dimensional maze, it's a three-dimensional maze, you've got federal state county government and city government. and all of these are creating rules that just turn homebuyers and home sellers into balls of red tape . john: i almost think it's the bankers and lawyers. >> well, you know, that happens, but part of the problem is that government regulations give bankers lawyers, and real estate agents incentives to make life tough for us. so, for example, we had a case where we had some clients who just wanted to set up a for sale by owner website where people were selling their own homes, it's just classified ads. the first thing that happened was the state licensed real estate board comes down on them like a hammer and says, oh just by putting houses on a internet, you're acting as a unlicensed real estate dealer, and it stopped . john: and they can't be fired
12:08 am
their only incentive is follow the rules. >> exactly. and they're constantly dreaming up ways to save you from yourself. and number two they're agitating for their own regulations, and then number three, the government can make you to whatever they want and they can't go out of business . john: the movie brazil is about a society where people are torched by bureaucrats and paperwork. >> is this stamped? no there's no stamp on it. you see? i can't let you have the form until this is stamped. . john: the only guide guy is robert deniro who plays a contractor that is outside the system. >> paperwork. look whole system of yours could be on fire, and i couldn't even turn on a kitchen lamp. bloody paperwork. >> expect a certain amount.
12:09 am
>> why? . john: why? our society seems to love rules. that's why they need constitutional lawyers like me to go through it with an axe. >> to say there should be limited rules. >> exactly. we need principle compliments in case of things like homes and doing things to your home, what we need to do is respect property rights. so if someone wants to build a treehouse -- john: on their property. >> on their property, you just let them. let me tell you. we had to do some renovations in my place. all we wanted to do, had a little bathroom, maybe a few things inside, and the city of austin said before we let you do that, we need you need a little bit more surface in your yard quarterback so why don't you jackhammer up your driveway and put in cement, that you do for extra $5,000, we'll let you put in a bathroom inside. it's ridiculous . john: that was the deny can know to renovate. >> exactly . john: homeowners make buying a house sound easy.
12:10 am
>> what are you waiting for? eighty-one dollars a square foot. . john: but in real life, it's much harder than that, says randy, who is a homebuilder who is struggling with these rules. >> the building the house isn't hard, but the approval process is daunting, it could take five to ten years to build a community of homes . john: five to ten years in new jersey. >> correct. john: and on average a home today cost how much more just because of the rules? >> probably 15 to 20% just due to regulation . john: so on a typical home $100,000 is just rules. >> that's right. john: the worst town supposedly is san francisco where they just have a million rules. >> uh-huh. john: houston, however doesn't have any zoning code at all. >> uh-huh. john: so there could be a ten-year difference to building something houston to san francisco. >> it's the approval process . john: the institute says the
12:11 am
freest states are kansas, alaska louisiana, south dakota, and missouri, so had yay for kansas, and the worst hawaii. so why do you stay in the business? >> oddly enough it's been official for consultants like myself to navigate the bureaucracy. so if you get a few people who are willing to pay to get to the finish line, it makes it worth it . john: so for those of you who can jump through the hoop, it gives you more money. >> that's right. >> and it gives incentives for people who make money off the groups, to make more of them . john: some people look at it and say he's just a greedy developer. >> because there's nothing wrong with making money john, what they've done is figured out a way to help somebody else, so what weird do in this society is make it teaser make money . john: explain that.
12:12 am
>> help somebody else. . john: people don't think of it that way. >> no, somebody needs something, i'm going to use my brains to figure out how to get it to them. and the more opportunities we create to make money and the more opportunities away "we" create to make people happy . john: thank you have been w be jeff and randy to add to this discussion. please, follow me on twitter use the hashtag make it easy or like my facebook page so you can post on my wall. coming up i'll give away a couple thousand dollars to -- got it right here, the high school kids. i'll explain how government torched me when i tried to buy a gun. and next how the government encourages presidential candidate to lie to our faces day after day [ male announcer ] we know they're
12:13 am
out there. you can't always see them. but it's our job to find them. the answers. the solutions. the innovations. all waiting to help us build something better. something more amazing. a safer, cleaner brighter future. at boeing, that's what building something better is all about. ♪ ♪
12:14 am
12:15 am
u can manage your account anytime, anywhere on any device. just sign into my account to pay bills manage service appointments and find answers to your questions. you can even check your connection status on your phone. now it's easier than ever to manage your account. get started at xfinity.com/myaccount
12:16 am
john: are these people running for president? of course they are and everyone knows it but they won't admit it because if they do then they're in the government maze and the election rules will struggle their fundraising. that's why when many candidates who are going to run they say something like this.
12:17 am
>> you sound like a presidential candidate, are you going to run? >> well, i'm interested . john: he's only interested in running? i think he's more than interested it's a shame he can't just say it. so why? sherrill is a campaign consultant and dealt with these rules. why do they make this obvious deceitful statement. >> well, they have to make this statement more natural more truthful, but the minute they say those words, i am running for the president of the united states, they're in and their fundraising structure changes and we saw with jeb bush got into a little bit because he kind of maybe sort of said it . john: well, we'll show that. exiles talking to reporters the candidates splip up. >> yeah. john: he was being interviewed in the hallway, and he said i'm running for president. >> i'm running for president in 2016, and the focus is going to be about how -- if i
12:18 am
run, how do you obtain high economic growth . john: if i run. he took it bath. >> you can't put toothpaste back into the to be a . john: is he in trouble. >> well, if he is, it's a shame, we have other candidates that have basically come out donald said i have to say this and i can't wait until i can say it like this before. what you're kind of doing is encourage people to lie, to be a little bit sneaky be with the fundraising . john: but usually, they need no encouragement to be sneaky and lie. >> no. that's not true . john: but some of the candidates have declared, hillary, rand paul. >> they look at the calendar, they figure out when the other candidates are going to announce, and they want sun like, they think they'll get more press attention everyone has a different strategy. it's unfortunate that our government imposes all these restrictions -- john: all right. the reason for the rules, and i agree the
12:19 am
limit of speech, but the argument is that we don't want rich people to buy elections we want to limit how much you can give. >> you can't give the money out of politics, so why not be honest about it . john: but people complain about the money, and you look at the progression educator, reagan $500 million, bush, 9,900 million romney, 2 billion. >> right. john: now hillary has 2 billion in his alleged charity by herself already. >> right. john: but i'm puzzled by what people mean a lot of money. we're talking 2 billion 3 billion this year. but americans spend 7 billion on potato chips isn't election more important. >> maybe all that money doesn't work . john: here's the fcc commission rule book. it's almost 500 pages. and just how long is 500 pages of federal fine print? let's find out.
12:20 am
we paste them together and here we are at giants stadium. >> it fanned the whole field and halfway back. . john: so this means people can't participate in politics. >> it's hard you've got people street cornering politicking. getting money out of politics was basically to get the corruption out of politician. i think we're possibly inviting more corruption by all these rules . john: and when government is really big people are going to spend big to influence it because they can get some back. but affirmative supreme court said some campaign finance rules are unconstitutional, they flipped out. >> when we refuse to take it anymore, we can stop the corrupt vote buying that creates the government of the obscenely rich by the object obsenely rich . john: that was reverend who wants more rules. i once interviewed one of the
12:21 am
staffers who write mccain, i told it was discouraging ordinary people as sherrill said for participating in politics. >> we have areas of law that are complex . john: no kidding says becky. >> i have not been interested in what i'm doing which makes me sound stupid, but i'm not . john: all she did was oppose a ballot measure which would allow a denver colorado subesh to annex her town. she and some neighbors printed signs and t-shirts and gathers signatures for a petition. >> i just walked around and talked to neighbors . john: and the fact that the group exercised free speech was enough for the lawsuit because they didn't register as a issue committee and report all their expenses. >> the lawsuit was used in an effort to shut us up about the annexation. they wanted to scare us enough with these laws so that we
12:22 am
wouldn't talk about it anymore. john: these people are printing t-shirts and yard signs and they're in trouble. >> that law was passed by the voters of state of colorado, so i think it reflects voters sentiment . john: he says the voters want this. >> the voters want corruption out of politics . john: they think rules will do that. >> yeah. john: someone else telling them that. it's not true . john: thank you, sherry. coming up how government's maze of rules inspires companies to show employees sexist videos. ♪ i built my business with passion. but i keep it growing by making every dollar count. that's why i have the spark cash card from capital one. i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy for my studio. ♪ and that unlimited 2% cash back from spark means thousands
12:23 am
of dollars each year going back into my business... that's huge for my bottom line. what's in your wallet?
12:24 am
12:25 am
12:26 am
john: politicians always say they want more jobs. someone would hope they would make it easy to hire people, it should be like this. >> that was easy . john: but of course thanks to government the opposite is true. for example suppose you're an employer someone comes in and says the job interview and you ask them, hi, lounge have you been working? or how tall are you? just asking one of those questions can get you into big
12:27 am
trouble. there are a thousand things you may not say or do when hiring someone and employment lawyer jonathan hymen makes money off of that, so it's kind of noble for you to come on this program and criticize that. >> in my interest, i have more regulations, but it's not good for business . john: everybody has to pay more for this. i mention these questions you can't ask. why can't i say how tall are you? >> because it may lead an employer to information about a disability or some other protective characteristics. the law protects the people over the age of 40 and if someone says i've been forking 25 years, that could mean you're over 40 . john: if you don't give the guy the job, he may sue and you're discriminating against me because of my age. >> that's right. and then it goes to all the hires across the board when you get one of these very expensive lawsuits into what it costs to hire an onboard employee .
12:28 am
john: you can't say are you a social drinker? can we go out drinking? you can't say do you have a family. >> you can't say do you have a family, you can't say are you a social drinker because addictions are protective disabilities . john: why can't i ask about a family. >> because family member with a medical issue could lead to a inference about a disability. john: so real honest conversation is forbidden. >> essentially right. i mean you want to know who you are hiring, but you can't because the law says there's all these things you can't ask. john: if you know about all these laws. to try to avoid the lawsuits, many ask the consultants to show their employees videos like this one. >> hello darling where did you come from. >> she's new that's for sure. >> what department do you think? >> the body department. . john: now, this seems stupid and sexist, obviously why do they spend money on this. >> because they feel like they have to. i don't think anybody takes anybody out watching one of
12:29 am
those videos. but that's some companies feel -- some states flat out require, like, california, which is a mess, say you have to have this required training -- you have to give your employees this training period . john: everybody. >> everybody. if i'm having the hr director sitting next to me in a deposition, we want her to check off the box understandable . john: yes, we showed the video. >> correct. john: and they spend maybe $7,000 to get the consultants in harvard researchers found no positive effect, nothing. >> right. no, that's right. i think that people -- john: people sit -- >> sit there watching these videos and do it because they're told they have to and at the end of the day take very little out of it . john: the government sued hooters and no physical trait unique to women is required to
12:30 am
serve food. they grilled hooters for four years and demanded millions and millions of dollars. they only stopped when hooters wisely put this picture of, got one of their big guys to dress up like a hooters girl and the government was embarrassed and backed off. >> the hundreds and thousands of dollars it cost hooters to approve that . john: 3.75 million, in fact. >> to approve that we serve food but people don't come for the burgers and wings let's be cease and you can't ask if you've been in jail, do you have a criminal record. >> yeah. the eeoc takes the position that if you have a criminal history that because there's a higher rate of african-americans and hispanic that are incarcerated, that it could tend to screen out certain candidates from employment. never mind the fact -- john: it's race discrimination. >> right. never mind the fact that the eeoc own internal
12:31 am
rules won't say the own thing we won't hire you if you're a convicted felony . john: at the government. >> right. but private we're hold good you to a higher set of rules. and if you do hire and they commit a fine, they say you hired a criminal. >> that's right. john: it's damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. the company exxon gave captain hazelwood a job after he completed alcohol rehab. he then sued and had a huge oil spill, and then exxon said they cannot hold safety sensitive jobs. as a result, under the ada demanding their right to safety sensitive jobs. so they can't win. they get sued if you do, sued if you don't. >> you're doomed if you do, doomed if you don't. . john: national relations board. >> thank you a guy walking a
12:32 am
picket line, screamed, i mean horrific racial at black -- guys that were crossing the picket lines, and the company rightfully fired the guy and said we can't have also workers screaming about water mel an and fried chicken, and he sued because this was in the context of a union strike, and there were no threats of violence made against these people this worker had the right to lob these racial bombs at these people crossing the picket line, and therefore you wrongfully fired him and should have brought him back. what's a company supposed to do? . john: it's stuck in that maze and you never know what's going to happen. jonathan, thank you. coming up i'll give away $1,500. also how government's maze prevents me from protecting myself against people who want to kill me. and more on it on the government's more on jobs.
12:33 am
[announcer:] what if one stalk of broccoli could protect you from cancer? what if one push up could prevent heart disease? [man grunts] one wishful thinking, right? but there is one step you can take to help prevent another serious disease- pneumococcal pneumonia. one dose of the prevnar 13® vaccine can help protect you ... from pneumococcal pneumonia, an illness that can cause coughing, chest pain difficulty breathing and may even put you in the hospital. prevnar 13 ® is used in adults 50 and older to help prevent infections from 13 strains of the bacteria that cause pneumococcal pneumonia. you should not receive prevnar 13 ® if you've had a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine or its ingredients if you have a weakened immune system, you may have a lower response to the vaccine. common side effects were pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site. limited arm movement, fatigue, head ache muscle or joint pain less appetite, chills, or rash. even if you've already been vaccinated with another pneumonia vaccine, prevnar 13® may help provide additional protection.
12:34 am
get this one done. ask your healthcare professional about prevnar 13® today.
12:35 am
12:36 am
usaa makes me feel like i'm a car buying expert in no time at all. there was no stress. it was in and out. if i buy a car through usaa, i know i'm getting a fair price. we realized, okay, this not only could be convenient we could save a lot of money. i was like, wow, if i could save this much, then i could actually maybe upgrade a little bit. and it was just easy. usaa, they just really make sure that you're well taken care of. usaa car buying service. powered by truecar. online and on the usaa app.
12:37 am
john: politicians always say they want people to work, and then when people want to work, they force them to try to run through the maze. for example look at what happened to celeste kelly. >> arizona is threatening her with thousands of dollars of fine and jail time. . john: why would anyone massage horses? because it's apparently good for the horses muscles. she has done this for ten years, and her customers wouldn't know what to do without her. >> i don't know any veterinarians in arizona who massage horses, so i take my horses to celeste . john: but bureaucrats say
12:38 am
that's legal. >> become a veterinarian or massage horses for free. >> there are no accredited vet schools in arizona. i would have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars and at a institution where equine massage is not taught . john: this makes no sense. this college public policy procedure studies these licensing rules. why are they there? >> there are people who benefit from these kinds of things. if you have the key it makes a lot of sense to put locks everywhere and have people pay you to unlock them. there's typically a partner pattern here and says you're so dangerous, you need to protect the government from us. and the legislature not hearing from other people say okay. we'll do this. and then there's one other little thing here, which is you need to grandfather this of us who are already doing the profession and just make it difficult for others to
12:39 am
come in in which case you have now used the regulatory apparatus to peep people from competing in whatever your business happens to be . john: when i was a kid one in 20 occupations requires a license today. >> we're up to 30% of the labor force. this is regulation by paper cuts and it's where it's a impediment to people getting the jobs . john: on average 33 days in training and they're doing something very important. maybe bringing people back to life a cosmotologist someone who does facials and works with wigs has 372 days of training. >> right. so let me ask you a question. have you ever gone to your legislature and said my haircuts or my manicures are a little bit more expensive than they would otherwise be . john: i have no incentive to
12:40 am
do that. >> and those groups you're referencing, are organized and will usually one of the roles of their union or association is to do the lobbying that leads to those barriers to people other people out of the profession . john: okay. you're a college professor at dart myth, one of the top schools in the country. but when you're in new hampshire, you couldn't switch and teach high school. >> albert einstein, when he retired, could not have taught high school physics. people who taught for 20 years, some of the most elite schools, couldn't then go teach in a public school in chicago or new york . john: let's call them government schools because public, they're all public, the supermarket is public. >> one of the groups that actually took notice of this is the united states military. because the military moves people around and those people moving around often have trailing spouses who work wherever they might go. well, if you've been certified to do something in one state and these rules are almost always
12:41 am
state based, and you move across the country or even across the border, now they're often different and more requirements which means you could have done something for decades, and yet you needed a new exam, new requirements, new fees, and what have you . john: in new orleans it's a crime to give people tours without first getting a government license. >> the new orleans city government is trying to throw tour guides out of business and silence their speech. >> i'm being knocked out of business again. but this time by the city of new orleans. urine test, fingerprints, fbi background checks no tour guides. you have to ask yourself. doesn't new orleans have something more important to do than license tour guides . john: yeah presumably they won't and other licenses to give a tour, georgia, for example, where michelle is a tour guide. what happened to you?
12:42 am
>> you have to pass a college-level history exam to get one license, and then you have to get a license for every tour company that you work for, might be up to five licenses. then you have to pass a physical . john: a medical examination every two years. >> yeah. john: what does that have to be doing for a tour guide. i get it for the person delivering oxygen. >> right. john: so do you go ahead and break the law. >> no. i've never been cited i've always done what i'm supposed to do . john: you have a license. >> yes. and even though i've worked with the city to try to change that for tourism reform, when i exhausted all means of communication, that's when i decided to file a lawsuit with the city of savannah, but you do have to file a criminal background check as well, and remember i don't really care for the city of savannah, i'm a privately own business, but the city has the right -- john: showing people the
12:43 am
sites. >> yeah. just telling people where the best ice cream is . john: you better have a medical checkup for that. and your competition has arguments. the background check is a good idea. we want to keep scrupulous individuals from leading tours, many of them will be handling credit card information. >> because you have a license doesn't mean you're honest . john: do you think the regulators know they're stupid. >> i think they often do. it comes from the political process and then it's dropped into the executive branch and somebody said we ought to license these groups, we better come up with the requirements . john: how much does this cost you. >> well, if you're operating a tour company in the city, you also have to pay a speech task, and i speak for a and lifting have all these licenses and now i'm a tax collector for the city on top of it . john: collecting from your -- >> yeah. and right now in the city you're atalking about $600,000 a year that they're
12:44 am
collecting in speech taxes currently. . john: thank you michelle, charles. coming up government torching children. >> if people want to work, let them work. here at td ameritrade, they love innovating. and apparently, they also love stickers. what's up with these things, victor? we decided to give ourselves stickers for each feature we release. we read about 10,000 suggestions a week to create features that as traders we'd want to use, like social signals, a tool that uses social media to help with research. 10,000 suggestions. who reads all those? he does. for all the confidence you need. td ameritrade. you got this.
12:45 am
12:46 am
12:47 am
12:48 am
john: every once in a while a young person fights through the government's maze and inspired by that and i was inspired when i heard what 17-year-old roads did she lives on a farm, she decided they would like to sell some dog treats too so she made these, and then tried to find out what she would have to do to sell them legally. so what did you find out. >> i found out that you needed 15 pages of regulation to sell dog treats . john: 15 pages. can i see this leer? >> pet food rules and what's in the regulations? >> what you have to have on the label the analysis, the ingredients, this product is intended for supplemental feeding only . john: so you had to have special labels printed this is just supplemental.
12:49 am
>> yes. when i started, when i read about doing dog treats, i had already bought all my packaging and everything was ready, and then i read the rules and regulations, and i had to completely change all my packaging because it wouldn't fit on the stuff that i had . john: how long did it take. >> it took six weeks . john: how much money. >> over $200 . john: and it would be $200 each time you would try to do this. >> yes. crazy . john: and did you ever argue with the regulators? >> i tried. it didn't work. they're just -- regulators . john: i learned about raylin because she entered a contest i have a nonprofit that offers school teachers free videos that try to explain how free markets work and introduce students to economics. this year we ran anacy contest encouraging students to write about a show i did one like this one. ray lynn'sacy was easy one
12:50 am
first arise and in a free economy, if i made a bad dog treat, with word would spread and people would not have continued to buy them. wouldn't that be a simple way to weed out people who make bad dog treats? i would think it would, but this doesn't occur to people. how do you know things like this? will be the has been the free market regulates is pretty good at self regulating . john: your family's business has caught taut you that. >> yeah. it will work out if you just wait . john: and also that unattended consequences, too many businesses drive under ground. i saw this firsthand while i jumped through the hoops my competitors sold their dog treats without a license. so you've got black market illegal competitors. but nobody cracks down on them. >> no. they don't because
12:51 am
it's crazy the amount of stuff you have to have for a dog treat and why should you go through all the trouble it's a dog treat . john: so why did you. >> because i didn't want to get in trouble. i wanted to do something the right way the first time . john: i like to how she ended herb easy essay i sure wasted lots of time getting there. think of all the people in america and how much time and money they waste. >> you have been waste time and money and i could have had more products, i could have had it out sooner, but because of the regulations it took me for every . john: for winning first it prize, we take you to new york and put you up in a hotel and this check for $1,500, so congratulations. >> thank you. . john: the second prize goes to grant, grant come get your check for $1,000. >> thank you . john: congratulations his
12:52 am
essay was titled the tolerance of zero symbolization. he writes regulations of common sense to take a regulation of fear in charge and you're so write right these stupid school rules sometimes. congratulations both of you. if you're a teacher who wants your students to enter the contest next year or if you just want free videos to help economics and promote discussion in class please check out stossel in the dallas room.org. and coming up speaking of zero tolerance how new york city's government shut me
12:53 am
[ male announcer ] we know they're out there. you can't always see them. but it's our job to find them. the answers. the solutions. the innovations. all waiting to help us build something better. something more amazing. a safer, cleaner brighter future. at boeing, that's what building something better is all about. ♪ ♪
12:54 am
12:55 am
12:56 am
john: life keeps getting better because of innovation. private sector innovation. on my little phone, i can access the whole world now. i could go to amazon buy things with a click and a few days later they just arrive. cheap. easy. but if i deal with government, almost nothing is easy. of course it varies on which government you deal with and what you want to do if you want to open a business in nevada or delaware are the best. they're still bad it takes too much time to still to start a legal corporation and you know, probably still have to hire a lawyer, but at least you could get it done in a week or two. but not in my state new york. here it could take much longer. i once tried to get legal permission to open this lemonade stand outside bill
12:57 am
o'reilly's studio, but i gave up after two months. new york city's rules are among the worst, and this is unfortunately, where i live. also since people sometimes threaten to kill me, i thought it would be a good idea if i could carry a gun in my bag or inside my suit to protect myself. after all the supreme court says i may. >> the majority concluded that the right to own a gun belongs to each law-abiding american . john: but what does that mean to me in my town. >> photocopies not accepted . john: i tried to get a gun license. they make it very hard. first you must fill out this 17 page form. the form says i must promise i know the definition of other weapons like -- switchblade knife, gravity knife, metal knuckle knife, this is 50 pages. who understands this. it took hours and hours to fill out the forms. we had to call the police
12:58 am
department six times electric to clarify what questions meant. finally it was done. i had to get this notarized. >> go ahead and sign here, and i will fill in the rest . john: and then you have to go in foreign police headquarters. here they fingerprinted me, asked me why i want a gun and then gave me a $400 fee and said they would get back to me. . john: and then herman runs this website which advises ma'am people on navigating the regulations. >> if you're this expert, i would think it would be easy for you to get people guns. >> it's still an ordeal. it's being used as a web to deter people from following through the process . john: for me, it took eight and a half months. first they told me i had to return to police headquarters
12:59 am
for another in-person interview. this time they said i had to prove an accusation against me be dropped. the headline was not enough. i was supposed to produce the original court documents. 52 days later they sent me a letter regimenting my application for a carry permit. >> they said i hadn't demonstrated a special need. i need a special need? the supreme court doesn't say anything about that, but it did say cities issue reasonable regulations. what's reasonable? for bureaucrats, it works for them. it makes them more powerful. but for the rest of us, it just makes our life hard, it makes us poor. that's why people like 17-year-old raelyn roads they fought through the maze. >> that was easy . john: no, it wasn't easy, it was hard, but they did it, and they accomplish good things. my hat's off to them. that's our show.
1:00 am
see you next time in our new time slot, 8:00 p.m. friday on fbn [inaudible] just going out on a limb. have a wonderful weekend. >> one in three american jobs will be replaced by robots. john: well i lose my job? will the whole industry disappears? but so far innovation has been mostly good. will we take this too far? >> the latest have the pattern i'm. >> the music industry felt threatened. >> it's free it's easy you know and it's wrong but a lot of people do it.
left
right